Typography 1 | 50/50

lets try not to mix it with M&P this time 🌚…

I started this project with typing letters of all typefaces we are allowed to use in illustrator which are:

  • Latin: Avenir / Baskerville / Adobe Garamond Pro / Palatino / Helvetica Neue / Impact
  • Arabic: Sana / Mishafi / Mishafi Gold / Al Bayan / Baghdad / Gezza Pro

,so that I can take a look at the letter and how it’s formed. at first I thought that we are allowed to use black background but then it turned out that it’s not.. after the critique by professors it became more clear that by 50/50 it means :

  • 50% of the letters
  • 50% Black and white

since the very first experiments I made, I noticed that it’s difficult and more complicated to work with Arabic letters, because some of the typefaces does not have a bold option, and most of the arabic typefaces are lightweight, so it was quite difficult to achieve the 50% of the letters. To solve this problem I used mostly typefaces that could be bolded, I also scaled it bigger considering that I need to show the “special”parts that makes it easier to distinguish the letters.

professors also suggested that we use our hands to create some sketches, to me it was easier to work straight on illustrator because I’ve already tried this method when I took portfolio development classes.

some of the hand experiments 


 

with every feedback we got from the professors, it got more clear of what the concept was.. mainly..

  1. 50% letters, 50% Black & white.
  2. Identification of letters
  3. Aesthetics 

following that I worked on fixing and editing the sketches I made the first time, some of the first ones didn’t work so I made new ones..

looking at the letters for a long time made me see the relationships between the letters form, also using the analysis of characters handout the professors provided helped a lot realising which parts to keep for the letter to be recognised, by time it became easier to find the good combination that worked best.. still struggled with Arabic tho.. I hated the dots 🙃, it was our enemy..not to mention the boogers that appeared from time to time too 😩😷.


 

Before & After

To see the development and the changes and to compare between the fixed versions and the original ones I Printed a Before & After versions, and it helped me because some of my originals were better than the fixed ones.

img_8815-copy


 

Tweaks ?

I choose my Final 9 beforehand to show it the professors and get feedback for final tweaks.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg


 

Final 9…Printing..& (Cutting) is such a pain 😦

I printed the final designs several times because the printer printed them with weird ink spots, glued them to Bristol, and started cutting.. I had to Re-do couple of them :(. I started to cut with a metal ruler, but I couldn’t see the boarder line so I switched to a plastic ruler which I knew it was wrong 😬🌚🔪, but I wanted to see the line.. and it was a disaster because I screwed it up.. so I went back to the metal ruler after asking an expert, thanks Kamla!

 


 

Overal Experience 

I Really enjoyed this Project, and it was really fun, I once said it and I’ll say it again. If I had to make 1000 Designs I would have made it but not to make for M&P lol 🌚.  I personally have this special relationship with Typography, and I think it helped me to not get bored with the project, I didn’t even think that I would get bored :p

After completing this project, Now I can look at letters in the sense of shapes and forms not only as letters, which may help in future projects that are not even related to type.

 

Final 9 digital

 


*Resources used here

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s